Visas for dependents of visa beneficiaries

K-2 visas are granted to children of K-1 visa holders, or those coming to the U.S. to marry a U.S. citizen spouse.

K-4 visas are granted the age of K-3 visa holders, or those married to the U.S. citizens.

F-2 visas are reserved for spouses and children of students in academic or language training programs who com eon F-1 visas.

Similarly, J-2 visas are reserved for spouses and children of exchange visitors, who come in on J-1 visas

L-2 visas are given to the immediate family members of L-1 visa holders, who are employees transferred to a U.S. branch of office.

Spouse and children of E-2 treaty traders and investors may accompany the visa holder in same status.

Similarly, H-4 visas are granted to spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21 of H-1B visa holders, or those individuals who come to the U.S. to work in specialty occupations. H-4 dependents are admitted for the same time period as the H-1B visa holder, the status is dependent and thus expires with the H-1B status. H-4 dependents may study in the U.S. while in that category, however they are not allowed to work unless they independently qualify for a work visa.

To review a full list of dependent visa categories, please review list of non-immigrant visas by clicking here.

Relevant topics